Originally I was just going to build a printrbot LC extruder but, later on I decided to also make a wades lc extruder as well. The printrbot version is almost done, I’ve finished sanding super smooth as well as making sure all the bolts and bearings fit how they are supposed to. The printrbot extruder has come together real well especially taking into consideration that I’ve never built an extruder out of wood. My plans for both of these builds is to post plans for those people who want to cut these out without a laser cutter as well as make the V2.0 made out of acrylic. I will be posting the plans asap. That way you can just print these plans out to scale and past them to whatever medium you want to use. This will make it really easy to cut out using basic tools that most people have laying around. I want to make sure that these designs are the best that they can be before I post them. I will also post the cut outs for the gears even though more than likely I will be using plastic ones. I will update the printrbot version as well as the wades version as soon as possible.
Today I decided that I wanted to take a chance and build the laser cut wooden extruder by Printrbot. The trick was that I wanted to build it with limited tools and limited cost. I also wanted to find and easy way to scale the files so they could be downloaded and properly sized without using a CAD like program. So I limited myself to Microsoft paint as a program. I also couldn’t find any files with measurements on them. So I will be making my own set of plans with measurements so you too can easily make your own extruder without using CAD. I have cut out all the pieces from the file but I’m not completely happy with how it turned out so I am going to spend the next few days making the designs more accurate and user friendly. Check back as I will be updating as I go.
Update: April 22nd 2013—»
So I started working on the wades extruder some more. I have all the pieces cut out and put together but I still am trying to figure out the internal workings of the extruder. After spending some time with it I came up with a system that I believe will work using a very small bearing. This bearing will put pressure against the client which will in turn put pressure against the hobbled bolt. I have attached some pictures for further explanation.
Here are the newest pics. I just need to mount the motor, hobbed bolt, gears and put the correct bolts and nuts in. After that I’ll be ready to test, fix any problems and re-configure the design and it will be all done.
Update: April 27th 2013—»
I found some pictures of the finished product that were taken a while ago. The gears have since been smashed along with my extruder due to a buddy accidentally dropping it and instead of catching it he stepped on it. Well accidents happen and I have a new set of extruder parts hurling through the universe probably at about an average of 20 MPH to my door step thanks to ei8htohms. Definitely check out his site he has an interesting Printrbot GO project that is turning out to be a very promising build. I thought I would share the final pictures of the almost finished project. The Wades LC extruder is pretty much finished and only needs a few adjustments. While the printrbot LC extruder needs the nema 17 mounting holes aligned as well as longer bolts for the tension latch. Check them out and let me know what you think. The next step is to finalize the designs and build the new ones out of acrylic or dibond.
Update: May 9th 2013—»
Well I finally got around to starting one of the final versions of the printrbot lc acrylic extruder. I’m not quite done yet. I still have a lot of fitting and sanding to do as this was cut out using a scroll saw and not an actual laser cutter. Its turning out good so far, the color is blue in the picture because I haven’t taken off the protective film yet. I decided to use clear acrylic as I found it to be more fitting than colored acrylic. It will be a little while until I will get to test it out due to my printrbot original is getting an upgrade to the new Printrbot + V2. I will also be posting info on the upgrade for people who are interested in doing it themselves. I will eventually test this extruder when I get some gears and the new bot upgraded.